While transferring money or making payments online, I know you must have encountered an online payment platform, called PayPal. This money transfer/payment platform is used by millions of people around the globe. Of course, Nigeria is one of the countries in the world where PayPal can be used to perform online transactions and not just that, it is now possible to receive money from abroad without having to queue up at the bank to answer embarrassing questions. Transferring or paying with PayPal is easy and cost-effective as there are no hidden or processing charges so instead of ignoring PayPal, it will be safer to own a PayPal account because of its numerous benefits. Opening a PayPal account is quite simple, fast and does not require so many details. With a functional email address and a debit card, you are good to go. See also How to Open a Bitcoin Wallet to Earn Bitcoins
The steps for creating a PayPal account are the same whether on a PC or an android phone. Here are the steps to follow:
- The first thing to do is to visit the PayPal website on www.paypal.com
- Once the website opens, click on the Menu icon on the top left corner of your screen. You will see two options; Personal and Business. Choose personal as business account is not available in Nigeria yet. Click on the Signup button under Personal and the first Personal Account Form will display on your screen.
- On the first Personal Account Form are details which you must supply such as; country where you are operating from (ordinarily, you will see Nigeria filled in at first), first name, last name, email address, create password, confirm pasword. After filling this information, click Next and you would be referred to the second Personal Account Form.
- By clicking on the Agree and Continue button, it shows that you have successfully created a PayPal account in Nigeria and a link will be sent to your email for verification purposes.
- To verify your PayPal account, you will have to login to the email address used for creating the PayPal account, there you will see an email link sent by PayPal. Open the email and click on Activate My Account.
- After clicking on the Activate My Account button on your mail, you would be referred back to the PayPal account which automatically serves as your first-time login on the PayPal platform. Once your account opens, you will see a get verified icon below the introductory message from PayPal, click on it.
- After the get verified stage, you will be required to link a debit card (either a Master or Visa Card) to show you are the owner of the debit card.
- Once you click on the Link a Card button, an online form will display for you to fill in your card details. Please note: your card has to be enabled for dollar transactions and you can have that done for you by going to your Bank’s customer care. However Access Bank and GTB have their cards enabled by default. Some of the information required will include; the card number on the front of the debit card, expiry date and the CCV number (the CCV number is the last three digits of the number at the back of your debit card). Don’t worry, your card details are safe with PayPal as it has a non-disclosure policy, and as such, your card details will never be shared with any person, not even the person you are transacting with.
- After filling the information in (9) above, click on the Save button. A 4-digit code would be set to you by your bank which you will use to confirm the transaction. Enter the code in the space provided and click Continue. A refundable charge will be deducted from your account as a means of verifying that you are actually the owner of the account. Yippie! You have successfully verified your account.
So it’s time to enjoy your PayPal account. Create an account today and enjoy numerous privileges.