Federal Nigeria Society for the Blind – The Center provides a two year Vocational Training Program to enable blind adults and adolescents from all over the Federation acquire skills in Handicrafts, Braille Reading and writing, Dictaphone Typing, Computer, Mobility, Tie and Dye, and Bead making necessary for job placement in industries or for self-employment.
Federal Nigeria Society for the Blind recruiting to fill the position Principal, Vocational Training Center
The Principal will be the face of the Vocational Training Center (VTC) to the public, the Council and the Key Stakeholders. He/she will be responsible for the overall supervision and management of the educational and rehabilitation activities of the Center in line with the defined objectives of the Society.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Full responsibility for the smooth and efficient operation of the Vocational Training Center (VTC).
- Ensure the achievement of Accreditation and maintenance of such for all the courses run by VTC.
- To be aware of the Objectives, Values, and the Code of Conduct of the institution in order to ensure strict adherence by students and other employees.
- Implementation of policies and guidelines laid down by the Board of Governor (BOG) for the running of the VTC.
- Setting academic/ co-curriculum curriculum for VTC with approval of Council through the BOG.
- Supervise and approve teaching schemes and plans for each class from the teachers. Ensures that teaching activity is in line with the defined plan for each subject and period.
- Communicate all defined School standards and ensure compliance by all teachers and other support employees. The standards include and are not limited to Instructional methods, resource and teaching aids, and testing.
- Ensure the successful conduct of annual admission exercise in line with the council guidelines.
- Define and agree on Learning and Performance objectives with all teachers and instructors and assess performance against objectives.
- Collaborate with other organizations locally & internationally looking after the visually impaired.
- Determine and ensure the application of appropriate disciplinary measures to students and personnel for misdemeanors in line with the Center and Council policy.
- Providing leadership and guidelines to other Instructors to ensure effective teaching and training of all students in their various courses.
- Preparation and presentation of monthly Reports on the VTC through the Board of Governor (BOG) to the Executive Council.
- Ensuring proper welfare and comfort of all VTC students especially meals, hostel facilities and healthcare.
- Ensure adherence to the timetable guiding activities of the students.
- Maintain a good and healthy team environment across the teaching and administrative personnel in the center.
- Ensure that tests and examinations are promptly conducted, graded, reported.
- Providing advice and suggestions for improving the standard of teaching and ensuring that instructors provide high teaching standard.
- Serve as a member of the Management Committee and any other Committee as directed by the BOG.
- Take instructions and directives form the BOG as necessary.
- To properly direct the SAO in post-graduation monitoring of students.
- Any other duties as directed by the BOG.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be committed to the mission, vision, values and objectives of the Center and the Society
- Be a positive and committed member of staff demonstrating the highest personal and professional ethics;
- Be a good communicator with a clear understanding of the role and its responsibilities;
- Must have a caring disposition, fortitude, emotional resilience, patience, a well-developed work ethic, sensitive awareness of the needs of young people and adults. A good sense of humor is essential too.
- Experienced school teacher.
- Working at a supervisory level e.g. Dept. Head or Vice Principal level
- Working unsupervised self-motivated
- Must be teachable and willing to learn new skills
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of First Degree in Education (Special Education will be added advantage)
- Knowledge of psychology
- Customer service skills
- Thorough and pays attention to details
- Patience and the ability to remain calm under pressure
- First Aid Essentials
- Fire safety trained (to be provided if not available)
- CPR trained (this will be provided if not available)
Application Closing Date
8th November, 2019.