There is a new craze online concerning hair growth and hair treatment and has to do with applying rice water. This can be surprising but there’s a lot discovered that rice water can do to your hair. Think of rice water as a DIY beauty product, one of the best you can do. The most astonishing thing about it is that rice water is literally all you need. Nothing else.
Studies has shown that rice water contains vital amino acids, B vitamins, Vitamin E, minerals and antioxidants that are wonderful for hair and skin. It has been known by the Asians for centuries, and was said to keep their hair long, not getting grey hair until they reach their 80s. [ See also : Astonishing Health Benefits Of Garden Egg ]
What Rice Water Does to Your Hair (and even Skin)
Rice water has been discovered to be amazing for hair and skin, and proven by science. A study on in the Journal of Cosmetic Chemist shown that rice water when applied to to the hair reduces surface friction and improve the elasticity; this means that rice water helps to detangle hair making it easy to comb, furthermore reduces hair breakage.
Rice water contains inositol a type of carbohydrate which repairs damaged hair. Washing and rinsing your hair with rice water will improve manageability and prevent future damage. Amino acids and rice water help strengthen hair from the roots, enhances luster and volume and makes the hair silky smooth. This has explained why the Asian Yao women have up to six feet long and healthy hair which made it to the guinness book of records.
Moreso, benefits of rice water is not limited to hair, it also has a lot of skin benefits. Rice water contains cooling and healing properties which has been prescribed by ayurvedics as an ointment to cool off inflamed skin.
How to Prepare Rice Water
How to make rice water – Quick Soak Method
- You’re going to need half cup of uncooked rice. Any type of rice does it whether brown or white short grain or long.
- Add 2 cups of water – but first of all, rinse with about a cup of water to remove any dirt or impurities. Afterwards, take half cup of the uncooked rice and place in the bowl and cover it with water.
- Soak it for like 15 to 30 mins, stir around lightly until the water becomes cloudy. This helps the vitamins and minerals seep into the water
- Sieve out the rice water sieve the rice water and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator as it can serve for up to a week
This method is more efficient as the rice is being kept to ferment. Fermentation lowers the pH of the mixture to a more effective pH
- Once you have collected your rice water leave it in at room temperature for 24hours until it turned slightly sour which means it has started to ferment.
- Boiling is also one of the methods that work but is less effective due to heating effect on the nutrients contained.
Applying on skin
Rice water can be used as a face cleanser. Apply by dipping a cotton ball or cotton pad into a liquid and gently massaging it into your skin for a couple of minutes let your face dry and make sure it absorbs. With regular use you are going to notice your skin feeling soft type and radiant. Use it everyday as part of your skin care routine.
Applying on Hair
- After shampoo, pour rice water to your hair then slowly and gently massage your scalp and hair
- Leave it on for about 3 to 5 minutes. You can also leave it for 20 minutes to 30 minutes if you have time.
- Then rinse your hair thoroughly with water,
- Do it once in a week